The Midwest Expo will be held on Sunday, October 8, 2017, at the Marriott Northwest in Brooklyn Park (the former ‘Northland Inn’ on 694 and Boone Ave N). New this year (aside from the location) is that the trade show will be held in a separate area of the Marriott than the dinner reception. The Trade Show will be in the large Grand Foyer and Pre-Function area’s of the Marriott’s two large ballrooms, while the dinner reception and Hospy Awards will be in the Northland Ballroom. Also we’ve booked the popular musical group “The Tim Mahoney Band” that will play in the adjacent Minnesota Ballroom that evening. We will have two great seminars this year including a History of Beer seminar and a seminar on A.D.A. Compliance and Lawsuits that are happening to many bars, restaurants and liquor stores. We’ll also have our annual Hospy Awards presentation, a SALES alcohol awareness class and a few more surprises. So don’t wait to sign up!
2 FREE Admissions for MLBA Members!!
- Trade Show Starts at 2 PM
- Learn About New Products and Services!
- Sample Wines, Spirits & Beers and More!
- Seminars on ADA Compliance and Lawsuits! Scroll down for more information!
- S.A.L.E.S Alcohol Server Training Course @ 1 PM
- Enjoy a Superb Buffet Dinner @ 6 PM! in the Northland Ballroom
- Hospy Hall of Fame Awards @ 7 PM!
- ** Live Music of Tim Mahoney ** 8 PM – Midnight in the Minnesota Ballroom
Special room rate at the Marriott NW (All 2-room suites) for just $99 per room!
Click here to book this special rate! Discounted rate is good through Sept. 30th, so don’t delay!
Schedule for Sunday October 8th
- 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM: S.A.L.E.S Alcohol Server Training – Elm Creek Amphitheater
- 2 PM – 6:00 PM: Trade Show – Northland Grand Foyer
- 3 PM – 5:00 PM: Seminars – Arbor Lakes Room (A Tasting and ADA Lawsuit Seminar see below for more info.)
- 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM: Dinner – Northland Ballroom
- 6:30 PM: Vendor Appreciation – Northland Ballroom
- 7 PM – 7:30 PM: Hospy Hall of Fame Awards – Northland Ballroom
- 8 PM – Midnight: Live Music “Tim Mahoney” – in the Minnesota Ballroom
Special Lodging Rate: $99.00 at the Marriott Northwest (All 2-room Suites!)
Call 877-303-1681 and please state “MLBA Midwest Expo” to get these rates by Sept. 30th.
Or, click here to reserve your room.
Vendors: If you are interested in exhibiting at this year’s trade show, please call or email 651-772-0910 or email@example.com. Click here for an Exhibitor Registration Form (PDF)
Midwest Expo Seminar1: Protect Yourself Against Devastating A.D.A Lawsuits
3pm in Arbor Lakes Conf. Rm
Over the past several years, hundreds of our beloved MLBA members and other businesses across Minnesota, are getting served with frivolous American’s with Disabilities Act lawsuits! A small handful of attorneys are targeting family run businesses and claiming that they are not ADA compliant. The last rash of suits were just filed here in St. Paul where dozens of businesses have been targeted.
Julee Quarve-Peterson and Joseph M. Windler (who is the leading attorney in Minnesota on the ADA compliance topics) will be putting on an informative seminar at our upcoming Midwest Expo on October 8th, at 3PM in the Arbor Lakes Conference Room. They will explain all there is to know about these suits and how to prevent them from shutting you down. There was a recent Pioneer Press article that reported that one of the cornerstone restaurants in St. Paul, Red’s Savoy Pizza on E. 7th St., was going to have to shut down because of ADA standards. Click here to read the story from the Pioneer Press.
This is a must attend event for all retailers! Please do yourself a favor and come to our Fall Expo and learn from the expert on how to protect your business. Space is limited so get your registration in now. There is a convenient registration link here or you can download a PDF registration here. MLBA Members get TWO FREE admissions and it’s just $17 each for additional admissions.
Not only will you be able to visit dozens of vendors to sample and learn about new industry trends, but now you will also be educated on this hot ADA compliance topic. You will also get a great meal and even get to see a nationally known musical group of Tim Mahoney. So don’t delay, sign up today!!
Below, you will see what will be included in Julee’s A.D.A. presentation. We will see you in October!!!
MLBA Executive Director
You’ve Been Served …. and were not talking about a martini. Accessibility/ADA complaints and lawsuits.
3:00PM in the Arbor Lakes Conference Room
In this session Julee Quarve-Peterson of Julee Quarve-Peterson, Inc. (JQP, Inc.) and ADA Compliance Attorney Joseph M. Windler will discuss the recent lawsuits and complaints filed against businesses — including restaurants, bars and liquor stores — based on accessibility.
The session will cover:
- What to do if you receive a complaint
- What can you do to help prevent a complaint at your business
- What’s required for existing facilities
- Why would you want to make your business accessible
- What is being done to try to prevent nuisance lawsuits
- What resources are available to you
Julee Quarve-Peterson has been specializing in accessibility since 1979 and founded JQP, Inc. in 1985. As a MN Certified Accessibility Specialist, Julee has worked with over 300 business in just the last 3 years related to lawsuits/complaints they have received.
Joseph M. Windler is the leading attorney in Minnesota on defending ADA Compliance lawsuits with the Minneapolis law firm of Winthrop & Weinstein.
Photos from Last Year’s Midwest Expo