MINNESOTA LICENSED BEVERAGE ASSOCIATION
Since 1952, the Minnesota Licensed Beverage Association (MLBA) has been helping licensed beverage retailers in the state of Minnesota with information resources, educational programs and government affairs services designed to promote and protect their business. All our member retailers understand that “with MLBA you’re not alone.”
“Supporting and Promoting Responsible Alcohol Retailing Since 1952”
- Q2 Issue of PROOF is Online April 4, 2020
- SMALL BUSINESS PAYCHECK PROTECTION PROGRAM April 1, 2020
- MN Legislature Passed Covid-19 Relief Bill and Fed Passes CARE Act March 28, 2020
- Gov. orders Shelter in Place Starting Mar 27th, Liquor Stores to Remain Open, On-Sale Closure Extended to May 1 March 25, 2020
- Letter to Governor Re: Allowing Carry-out Beer/Wine at On-Sale March 25, 2020
- Take action NOW to support “take out liquor” to help bars/restaurants March 23, 2020
- MLBA Board urges Gov. Walz to approve “take out liquor” for bars and restaurants March 21, 2020
- Gov’t Assistance Updates March 20, 2020
- Open Letter to Gov. Walz from Minnesota’s Adult Beverage Industry March 20, 2020
- IL Casualty Announces 30 Day Suspension of Premium Billing for Customers March 19, 2020
- MN Dept of Revenue Issues 30 Day Grace Period for Sales & Use Tax for Businesses Affected by the Closure March 18, 2020
- A Note to Retailers from Alcohol & Gambling Enforcement (AGE) Affected by the Closure March 18, 2020
12/17/19: Federal Tax Repeal
Today Congressional leaders in Washington, D.C. announced a federal budget deal, which funds our national government, and also impacts the liquor and hospitality industry. Several business-friendly tax repeals were included in the final deal – including the “health insurance tax” (HIT). MLBA met with Representative Angie Craig’s office from the Second Congressional District. We have been close to the HIT issue for many years and been successful in delaying the implementation of this tax burden for a while and today, Craig’s staff announce to me that they will be repealing this! Great news for small businesses everywhere!
Tax Breaks for Craft Brewers and Distillers Renewed.
Tax breaks for craft brewers and distillers were renewed for another year. Representative Craig’s office also announced to me that the tax breaks the distillers and brewers have been receiving will be extended another year. In the next year, there will be further discussions as to the relevance of this tax increase. This is good news for the small producers.
Tobacco Purchasing Age to 21
The U.S. Congress has agreed to push the tobacco purchasing age to 21 – which also applies to e-cigarettes and vaping devices. The MLBA has been active on this issue at a local level. Minneapolis and St. Paul specifically. We have received concessions from both cities to allow off premise establishments to sell menthol products. And, after many attempts to take this from us, we have been victorious to keep selling this product, responsibly.
St. Paul Adds Increased Enforcement for Labor Violations
With increased labor regulations in the city like increased minimum wage with no tip credit and sick and safe time laws, the St. Paul City Council passed an ordinance August 14th that aims to bolster investigations of worker complaints about labor issues.