MLBA has received information that the St. Paul City Council is taking up a proposal that would change city ordinance. The current ordinance regarding distance requirements states that off sale establishments cannot be within a half mile (2,640 feet) from another off sale business. Well, that is being challenged.
At next week’s city council hearing, there will be a proposal to change the current half-mile restriction to a 300 foot distance restriction! This means that the City of St. Paul would allow for 8 off sale wine stores to operate within each half-mile radius from another off sale establishment. By the way, this special wine only license currently has to follow the exact same guidelines that you currently have to follow, half- mile distance as well! This change would be devastating to public safety and create more losers than winners, as the already competitive off sale business will be carved up to unheard levels. Changing a city ordinance that works well for just one licensee does not make sense.
- We have heard of no public outcry for more alcohol outlets.
- W have heard of no solid reasoning to change the half-mile restriction.
- We believe customers have ample access to liquor store outlets across St. Paul. We challenge anyone to argue that point.
If you are a liquor store owner in the city of St. Paul, please contact your local council representative and voice your concerns. The next council hearing will take place on Wednesday, August 19th unless otherwise specified. Upon the third hearing, there will be time for public testimony. Coordinate that with your ward representative as well. (See below for a list of St. Paul councilmembers and their phone and email address.)
MLBA Executive Director
Saint Paul City Council and Mayor Contacts:
- Ward 1: Councilmember Dai Thao, Phone: 651-266-8610; Email: [email protected]
- Ward 2: Councilmember Rebecca Noecker, Phone: 651-266-8620; Email: [email protected]
- Ward 3: Councilmember Chris Tolbert, Phone: 651-266-8630; Email: [email protected]
- Ward 4: Councilmember Mitra Jalali, Phone: 651-266-8640; Email: [email protected]
- Ward 5: Council President Amy Brendmoen, Phone: 651-266-8650; Email: [email protected]
- Ward 6: Councilmember Nelsie Yang, Phone: 651-266-8660; Email: [email protected]
- Ward 7: Councilmember Jane Prince, Phone: 651-266-8670; Email: [email protected]
- Mayor Melvin Carter, Phone: 651-266-8510; Email (Go to www.stpaul.gov).
If you are not an MLBA Member, please consider joining. There is an online registration form found here or feel free to call or email us any time. We are here to serve you!