The Minnesota Licensed Beverage Association follows hundreds of bills during each legislative session. Listed below are our top legislative priorities for the 2017 Legislative Session.
- Continue the fair and balanced alcohol laws in the state including a strong three-tier system of manufacturers, distributors and retailers.
- Prevent single entities from having multiple alcohol licenses in any given city or municipality.
- Preventing direct shipment of alcohol from manufacturers to the public.
- Ensure uniform state labor standards in Minnesota and maintain the principle of “one state – one rule.” We support legislation that preempts the authority of local governments to establish local minimum wages and employee benefits.
- Recognize the value of tips and improve the equity between tipped and non-tipped employees by removing the inflation factor from the minimum wage of tipped workers who earn $12.00 an hour or more with their wage and tips.
- ADA legal actions – support strong legislation to reduce the risk of 'frivolous' predatory lawsuits.
- Limiting what micro-breweries and micro-distillers can sell directly to the public.
- Support a utility sales tax reduction for restaurants that parallels the reduction for other manufacturers.
- Repeal the June accelerated sales tax requirement.
- Vendor collection allowance – allow businesses who remit taxes on time to keep 1-2% to cover part of the cost of collection.
- Support a state tax credit for employers who offer short term disability insurance.
- Sunday Sales of Alcohol at off-sale
- Allowing internet sale of up to 2 cases of beer
- Predictable scheduling mandate
- Paid family and medical leave benefits
- Beverage container deposits
- Ban on the use of polystyrene (styrofoam) packaging for foodservice and other packaging restrictions
- Prohibition on passing payment card fees on tips to employees
These and other issues will be closely tracked and this page will be updated with further information throughout the 2017 legislative session. MLBA members will get weekly updates throughout the session. Not a member? Join today!