The MLBA is pleased to announce that we are teaming up with our friends at the Municipal Beverage Association to attend their highly successful and educational Spring Conference.
This is a 4 day educational event starting on Saturday, April 29 going through Tuesday, May 2. It will be held at Arrowwood Resort and Conference Center in Alexandria, MN. There will be several guest speakers and seminars each day as well as meals including pairing dinners and fun events. Please see below for a complete schedule of events.
You can choose a package to come for the whole event which includes 3 nights lodging (starting Sat. night) or start on Sunday with 2 night’s lodging. You can even choose to come for just one day or two days. Please click here for the registration for package prices and “a la cart” costs. If you have a spouse or staff that would like to come, but not attend the seminars, you can bring them along and pay for their meals and rooms (if separate) on the A La Carte menu on the registration form.
Schedule of Events
(Subject to Change)
Arrowwood Resort & Conference Center, Alexandria, MN
Saturday, April 29
- Noon – 6:00 PM :: Registration Hosted by Anheuser Busch
- 11:45 PM– 12:45 PM :: Beer Tasting Lunch Hosted by Anheuser-Busch
- 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM :: Succeeding in the 2017 Competitive Environment
- 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM :: Microsoft Office Training by Linda Muchow, Alexandria Technical and Community College
- 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM :: Cocktail Hour featuring Jim Beam Classic Cocktails
- 7:00 PM – 8:30 PM :: Paustis Wine Company Gourmet Wine Dinner
Sunday, April 30
- 8:00 AM – 1:00 PM :: Registration Hosted by Anheuser Busch
- 8:30 AM – 10:00 AM :: Beverage Alcohol Training, by Gary Buysse
- 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM :: Brunch & Vendor Showcase
- 1:15 PM – 2:15 PM :: “Millennials: How to Work with Them & Keep Them as Customers”, by Author Bob Filipczak
- 2:30 PM – 3:45 PM :: “You Can Hire an Employee, But You Can’t Hire a Manager By Tom Shay”, Profits Plus Solutions
- 4:00 PM – 5:30 PM :: “Achieving Digital Excellence” – Diageo
- 6:30 PM – 7:30 PM :: Cocktails
- 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM :: Trinchero Around the World Buffet Wine Pairing Dinner
- 9:00 PM – 11:30 PM :: Casino Night hosted by Pabst
Monday, May, 1
- 7:00 AM – 8:15 AM :: Breakfast
- 8:30 AM – 9:45 AM :: “Your Customer Doesn’t Live Here Anymore” By Tom Shay, Profits Plus Solutions
- 10:00 AM – Noon :: “Becoming a Successful Change Leader” By Maple Lake Mayor Lynn Kissock Training and Change Management Consultant
- Noon – 1:00 PM :: Schell’s Beer & Sliders Lunch
- 1:15 PM – 2:45 PM :: Improving Creativity by Brave New Workshop
- 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM :: Relationship Building Hosted by MillerCoors (Trivia, Corn Hole, Scavenger Hunt)
- 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM :: Cocktails
7:00 PM – 8:30 PM :: Ste. Michelle Wine Estates 50th Anniversary Celebration
- 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM :: Awards
Tuesday, May, 2
- 7:00 AM – 8:30 AM :: Breakfast
- 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM :: MMBA Annual Meeting, Elections, Awards & Industry Discussions
- 11:00 AM :: Home
“You Can Hire an Employee, But You Can’t Hire a Manager” By Tom Shay, Profits Plus Solutions
Sunday :: 2:30pm – 3:45pm
There are manager responsibilities and there are staff responsibilities. Unfortunately, there are too many managers who find themselves unable to separate the two and are spending too much time as a staff person or worse yet, a sales person. We will look at the responsibilities a manager should take on, those that should be passed on to subordinates, and how managers segment their management responsibilities into non-troublesome tasks.
“Your Customer Doesn’t Live Here Anymore” By Tom Shay, Profits Plus Solutions
Monday :: 8:30am – 9:45am
This seminar provides solid, tried and proven ideas businesses can examine and utilize as they develop that “always do business here first!” feeling with their customer.
- Identify what type of business you should be
- Recognize the five types of customers and knowing which type you want
- Develop the customer service techniques customers crave
- Provide the five qualities every customer wants
- Fulfill the customer’s equation for value
- Determine the proper strategy for your business
“Millennials: How to Work with Them & Keep Them as Customers”, by Author Bob Filipczak
Sunday :: 1:15pm – 2:15pm
Many have had the following experience:
“In the last week, my millennial employees have completely blown my mind in the things they have done around here. The way they act and treat other people is mind blowing. Absolutely no respect for others. My parents would have smacked me. They are so easily offended by everything and they think everyone is rude to them.”
Bob Filipczak, co-author of “Generations at Work: Managing the Clash of Boomers, Gen Xers and Gen Yers in the Workplace” will present a field guide for monitoring Millennials and many more valuable tools for turning today’s multigenerational workforce into an organizational asset.
“Improving Creativity” by Brave New Workshop
Monday 1:15pm – 2:45pm
Some may think some sort of discounting and instituting a casual dress-code constitutes as ‘creativity.’ Think again. Bobby Gardner of the Brave New Workshop will lead you through a five step process that will help you think differently about your business and yourself.
“Achieving Digital Excellence” – Diageo
Sunday 4:00pm – 5:30pm
Some members are actively and successfully engaged in on-line, digital activities (Facebook, Twitter etc.) Some members are not engaged at all. Others are somewhere in between. This seminar presented by Diageo, is designed for all knowledge levels. At the start of the session, attendees will complete a short, simple “Digital Readiness Survey.” based on the results, they will then move to small groups for discussions based on their knowledge and experience level.
“Becoming a Successful Change Leader” By Maple Lake Mayor Lynn Kissock Training and Change Management Consultant
Monday 10am – Noon
Change is happening all around us. Every day, new initiatives and projects are launched to improve performance, increase profits, and enhance competitive advantage. The reality is that failing to plan for change can be the kiss of death. In this interactive session, presented by Maple Lake Mayor and Certified Change Management Professional Lynn Kissock, you will receive tools for facilitationg change and learn how to apply them in your operation.
Microsoft Office Training by Linda Muchow, Alexandria Technical and Community College
Saturday 3:00pm – 5:00pm
By popular request, Alexandria Technical and Community College Specialist Linda Muchow returns to conduct a Microsoft Office Training. There will be 16 laptops available for use or you can bring your own. Part of the session will focus on creating signs, newsletters, flyers and more on Word and Publisher. There will also be information on creating charts and graphs in Excel. Finally, attendees will explore PowerPoint.
Succeeding in the 2017 Competitive Environment
Saturday 1:00pm – 2:30pm
This is the place for interactive discussion on industry trends, operational best practices and more.