Please see below for the elections results as of 11:00 a.m. on Thursday, November 5, 2020. MLBA’s Government Relations Team will provide additional updates as more results come in.
President and Vice President
- A candidate needs 270 electoral votes to win the election.
- So far, President Trump has 214 electoral votes.
- Vice President Biden has 253 electoral votes.
- Vice President Biden won Minnesota’s 10 electoral votes.
- The following states have not yet been officially called for either campaign: Alaska, Arizona, Georgia, Nevada, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania.
- Across the nation, 35 of the 100 Senate seats are up for election. So far, the
- Democrats have 46 seats and Republicans have 48. There are 4 Senate races that have yet to be called.
- Georgia will likely have both of its U.S. Senate races go to a run-off election on January 5, 2021. These races will likely determine control of the U.S. Senate.. Georgia requires a candidate to receive over 50% of the vote to win, if no candidate reaches that threshold, the top two candidates move on to a Run-off Election.
- MN Incumbent Senator Tina Smith (D) defeated former Congressman Jason Lewis (R).
US House of Representatives
All 435 House seats are up for election. So far, the Democrats have 188 seats and the Republicans have 181 seats. The results in Minnesota’s 8 congressional districts:
- First Congressional District
Incumbent Representative Jim Hagedorn (R) has declared victory over Dan Feehan (D). The Associated Press has not yet certified this result.
- Second Congressional District
Incumbent Representative Angie Craig (D) defeated Tyler Kistner (R).
- Third Congressional District
Incumbent Representative Dean Phillips (D) won against Kendall Qualls (R).
- Fourth Congressional District
Incumbent Representative Betty McCollum (D) defeated Gene Rechtzigel (R).
- Fifth Congressional District
Incumbent Representative Ilhan Omar (D) beat Lacy Johnson (R).
- Sixth Congressional District
Incumbent Representative Tom Emmer (R) defeated Tawnja Zahradka (D).
- Seventh Congressional District
Former Lieutenant Governor and Minnesota Senate President Michelle Fischbach beat incumbent Representative Collin Peterson (D).
- Eighth Congressional District
Incumbent Representative Pete Stauber (R) won against Quinn Nystrom (D).
– MN Supreme Court
- Incumbent Justice Paul Thissen defeated Michelle MacDonald.
– Minnesota Senate
- All 67 Minnesota Senate seats were on the ballot this year.
- Currently, the Democrats have won 33 seats. The Republicans have kept the majority with 34 seats.
- Senate District 14 (St. Cloud) – Aric Putnam (D) pulled ahead of Senator Jerry Relph (R).
- The following incumbents seeking re-election were defeated:
– Senate District 14 (St. Cloud) – Aric Putnam (D) pulled ahead of Senator Jerry Relph (R).
– The Senate District 27 (Austin) Gene Dornink (R) defeated Senator Dan Sparks (D)
– Senate District 56 (Burnsville) – Lindsey Port (D) won against Senator Dan Hall (R).
– Senate District 58 (Lakeville) – Zach Duckworth (R) beat Senator Matt Little (D).
- Below are results for open seats.
– Senate District 7 (Duluth) – Jen McEwen (D) won against Donna Bergstrom (R).
– Senate District 41 (New Brighton) – Mary Kunesh-Podein (D) beat Lucia Marina Vogel (R).
– Senate District 44 (Minnetonka) – Ann Johnson Stewart (D) defeated Greg Pulles.
– Senate District 47 (Chaska) – Julia Coleman (R) won against Addie Miller (D).
– Senate District 62 (South Minneapolis) – Omar Fateh (D) beat Bruce Lundeen (R).
– Senate District 64 (St. Paul) – Erin Murphy (D) defeated Sharon Anderson (R).
– Minnesota House of Representatives
- All 134 House seats were up for election.
- The Democrats have kept the majority with 69 seats. The Republicans won 65 seats.
- The House District 27A (Austin) race between Representative Jeanne Poppe (D) and Patricia Mueller (R) has not been officially called yet.
- The following incumbents seeking re-election were defeated:
– House District 5A (Bemidji) – Former Representative Matt Bliss (R) won against incumbent Representative John Persell.
– House District 6A (Hibbing) – Robert Farnsworth (R) beat Representative Julie Sandstede (D).
– House District 19A (St. Peter) – Susan Akland (R) defeated Representative Jeff Brand (D).
– House District 54A (South St. Paul) – Former Representative Keith Franke (R) beat incumbent Representative Anne Claflin (D).
-House District 55A (Shakopee) – Erik Mortensen defeated Representative Brad Tabke (D).
- Below are results for open seats:
– House District 1A (Roseau) – John Burkel (R) beat Connie Lindstrom (D).
– House District 4A (Moorhead) – Heather Keeler (D) won against Edwin Hahn (R).
– House District 5B (Grand Rapids) – Spencer Igo (R) defeated Joe Abeyta (D).
– House District 8A (Fergus Falls) – Jordan Rasmusson (R) beat Brittney Johnson (D).
– House District 19B (Mankato) – Luke Frederick (D) won against Jeremy Loger (R).
– House District 20A (Elko) – Brian Pfarr (R) defeated Erina Prom (DFL).
– House District 23A (Fairmont) – Bjorn Olson (R) beat Patricia Fahey Bacon (D).
– House District 25B (Rochester) – Liz Boldon (D) won against Kenneth L. Bush (R).
– House District 38A (Circle Pines) – Donald Raleigh (R) beat Kris Fredrick (D).
– House District 41B (New Brighton) – Sandra Feist (D) won against Ronald Ray Vogel (R).
– House District 45A (New Hope) – Cedrick Frazier (D) beat Jesse Pfliger (R).
– House District 51B (Eagan) – Liz Reyer (D) defeated Fern A. Smith (R).
– House District 56A (Savage) – Jessica Hanson (D) won against former – Representative Pam Myhra (R).
– House District 56B (Lakeville) – Kaela Berg (D) beat former Representative Roz Peterson (R).
– House District 59B (North and Downtown Minneapolis) – Esther Agbaje (D) defeated Alan Shilepsky (R) and Lisa Neal-Delgado (Green).
– House District 63B (South Minneapolis) – Emma Greenman (D) won against Frank Pafko (R) and Dennis Schuller (Legal Marijuana Now).
– House District 66B (St. Paul) – Athena Hollins (D) won against Mikki Murray (R).
– House District 67A (Eastside St. Paul) – John Thompson (D) beat John Stromenger (R).
- Below are results from the Hennepin County and Ramsey County races are below. For other local election results, please contact the Hylden team.
- Hennepin County Commission
District 1 – Brooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center, Crystal, New Hope, Osseo, and Robbinsdale: Jeff Lunde defeated De’Vonna Pittman.
District 5 – Bloomington, Eden Prairie, and Richfield: Incumbent Commissioner Debbie Goettel defeated Boni Njenga.
District 6 – Deephaven, Edina, Hopkins, Minnetonka, Shorewood, and Wayzata: Chris LaTondresse beat Dario Anselmo.
District 7 – Champlin, Dayton, Maple Grove, Minnetrista, Rogers, and Rockford: Kevin Anderson won against Danny Nadeau.
- Ramsey County Commission
District 1 – Arden Hills, Gem Lake, North Oaks, Shoreview, Vadnais Heights, White Bear Township, and parts of Mounds View, Spring Lake Park and Blaine: Incumbent Nicole Frethem defeated Dennis Dunnigan.
District 2 – Lauderdale, Little Canada, Mounds View, New Brighton, Roseville, and St. Anthony: Incumbent Commissioner Mary Jo McGuire beat Dan McGrath.
District 7 – Maplewood, North Saint Paul, White Bear Lake and the Hillcrest area of Saint Paul: Incumbent Commissioner Victoria Reinhardt won against Kevin Berglund.